Thrift storing

Light hearted chat, games and banter.
moonbynight
Site Admin
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 135 times

Thrift storing

Post by moonbynight »

Today the kid and I stopped at a thrift store on our way home from the park. She really wanted this toy dog in a carrier:
1699746256885.jpg
1699746256885.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
So I got it, because I have a hard time saying no to this kid.

Later, we found a plastic grocery bag full of condoms, expired in 2018, and a page of love poems, handwritten in pencil, shoved in the carrier. I imagine it was some teen's spot to hide stuff, and got donated after she left home.

I also found this mini backpack:
1699746717256.jpg
1699746717256.jpg (42.53 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
Yes, it's Coach. It was about $20, and most of the ones I'm finding secondhand online are >$120. If I had the energy for reselling, I would have got it, but I really don't.

When I was growing up, I thought I hated thrift stores. My grandparents volunteered at the church thrift stores, and would bring me home some pretty awful things. Then, once I was an adult, I discovered it's a totally different ball game when you're actually able to choose for yourself.

At this point, most of my clothing is from thrift stores. The jacket I was wearing today is this one ($200 new) - I got it a few weeks ago for $3. It makes such a big difference in keeping growing kids in clothing, and they love it, since they're able to choose their own things pretty much open-endedly.

Do you like thrift storing (or yard saleing, or anything else secondhand)? What weird and wonderful (or horrible) things have you found?
Kea
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Thrift storing

Post by Kea »

I like going to the charity shops and finding treasures especially when my family and I are visiting other towns. I buy specific book titles, crockery and certain style of clothings that I don’t normally wear but attracts my attention. Last time I bought was a baggy trousers covered with sequins. It’s a plus size but I think I can sew it (or ruin it) to fit my size.
“You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” — Winnie the Pooh
moonbynight
Site Admin

Post by moonbynight »

Yes, thrift stores are so great for trying out different styles and stuff that you're not quite sure you want to spend retail price on!
Orla
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Orla »

I’m definitely a fan. To be honest, I wish I started shopping at stores like Goodwill years ago for kitchen stuff.

I like consignment shops for clothing because it tends to be more curated. I get intimidated by the volume of stuff at thrift stores, but when I’m in the right mindset I do check out the clothes and I’ve found some good items.
moonbynight
Site Admin

Post by moonbynight »

Yes, being overwhelmed by volume, especially overcrowding, and lack of organization can be big problems for me.

If I'm looking for something, it's generally going to be in a very limited range of sizes, so organization by size is what I'd prefer. Some places organize by color, and maybe by size secondary, and I find that annoying. I suppose it's helpful if you're looking for something very specific, but I don't want to search through the blues, then the greens, then the blacks for the right size when I'm just browsing.
Orla
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Orla »

moonbynight wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:57 pm Yes, being overwhelmed by volume, especially overcrowding, and lack of organization can be big problems for me.

If I'm looking for something, it's generally going to be in a very limited range of sizes, so organization by size is what I'd prefer. Some places organize by color, and maybe by size secondary, and I find that annoying. I suppose it's helpful if you're looking for something very specific, but I don't want to search through the blues, then the greens, then the blacks for the right size when I'm just browsing.
When you said organize by color, it reminded me of a place I used to love going to when I was going to college in the Boston area. They organized by color, but also by size, and so I found it pretty easy to navigate. They’re still around so for anyone planning to be in Cambridge MA, I highly recommend this store:

https://garmentdistrict.com/
Kea
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Kea »

moonbynight wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:57 pm Yes, being overwhelmed by volume, especially overcrowding, and lack of organization can be big problems for me.

This, I find time-consuming when I am book hunting. Books that are not on chronological order like the authors make me retreat unless I have an ample time to spare. My MIL praises the shops that organise their clothings by colour. She said that it was so easy for old people like her to select the clothes that they want. Me, I would prefer it arranged by size, too. Maybe more older people search by colour?
“You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” — Winnie the Pooh
MarieGreen
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by MarieGreen »

I will go into charity shops but rarely buy clothes from them nowadays. Too many charity shops near where I live charge exorbitant prices nowadays. But I do like to buy baking dishes etc. They pretty much last forever and I like rooting through the quirkier items.

On holiday it can be a fun thing to do too. You find different things from the UK obviously. Across Europe Sundays are generally a pretty good day for a flea market or a car boot sale in the UK. Albeit the latter ones have been a tiny bit ruined for me with more and more "professional" sellers.
Wish I could work out how to escape the closet...
moonbynight
Site Admin

Post by moonbynight »

The cost increase has been a big problem in the US, too.

I am really lucky there are some thrift stores where I live that still have actual cheap prices. $1 for clothing, that sort of thing. It's actually part of the reason I agreed to move here. Other stores are more expensive. Still worth looking at compared to retail, but I tend to be a more picky with them.